Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ezra's photos



Friday morning we went and got Ezra's 6 month pictures taken. He's 8 months old, for those of you keeping track. :) (But mommy getting sick throws everything off a bit!) I had gotten Elijah's and Caleb's pictures taken when they were about 7 months old and wanted to have one of Ezra the same age. It was a bit of a riot at the "photo studio" as the photographer used a purple background with a teal chair... to go with Ezra's red hair and green plaid shirt. It took a lot of convincing to get them to use the plain white background... "Why? He's already white" is what they said. After some more convincing, they gave us the disk of photos and we can home and "fixed" them a bit (only cropping - no face touch-ups!) :) so the finished product is what you see above... quite impressive for a 3rd world country!

So, Friday night I was giving Ezra a bath in our kitchen sink. We do not have hot water out of the tap, so I had boiled water on the stove like I normally do. It was late and I was exhausted and I accidentally poured straight hot water on his head (usually mix a small amount with cold water to wash him with) The water was no longer boiling, but it was very, very hot and poor baby got very burned. It was a horrible couple hours of trying to get him cooled off and calmed down and the nurse came right away and ran all over town trying to get the right things to bandage him up and seal his burns so they wouldn't get infected. I felt SO GUILTY. We are thankful that he seems to be healing fine and not too bothered by everything. Yesterday morning I went to get him out of bed and he had all his bandages off his head and was sucking on them and looked up at me and smiled as if to say "Look at all these cool toys in my bed, Mom" Anyways, his burns look horrible but his eyes and nose and mouth were unaffected (he has burns all around his cheeks and jawbone and on his scalp.) The nurse said he should heal fine with no permanent scaring. I feel like a HORRIBLE mom. It did help a bit that the nurse said she once did the same thing to her 2 year old and he had worse burns than Ezra. I talked to my mom later and she said she did the same thing to my brother when he was a baby... so I don't feel as guilty. :( Here's a pic of Ezra from Saturday night... he's a trooper and still smiling!




3 comments:

  1. Poor baby, and poor mama! I am so sorry that happened. It's really easy to make mistakes when you're operating tired; all parents do. It's true that burns people receive as babies often leave little or no scarring. He looks like he'll be as good as new. Praise the Lord for His protection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little thing! Yet he still smiles:) Praise the Lord it didn't get in his eyes. Em, we missed you so much yesterday. I think of you often & pray that your health continues to improve. Much love to you & the boys:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH! I'm so sorry Emily! If it makes you feel any better I can totally see myself doing that:( Hope he heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete