Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Got my second prayer answered

A few weeks ago when I was unbelievably sick and feeling horrible, in a non-fevered moment (although you may think I was still ludicrous for saying it) I told the boys I would take them on a picnic. They had been cooped up in the house for days as I certainly wasn't going anywhere and really wanted to get out. Brant had a meeting at school, so we agreed that I would bring the boys up to meet him and let them play on the playground and we would all eat lunch together. Great plan except that by 10 that morning I was flat on my back, out of energy, totally exhausted and not going anywhere. I had already told the boys about the picnic and was trying to figure out what to do.

Our neighbor across the yard (we live on a complex of 3 houses owned by our mission for tribal missionaries waiting to move into their tribes) called as I laid on the couch bummed again that I was sick and couldn't do anything. She was planning a picnic for her kids later that morning and wanted to know if Elijah and Caleb wanted to go along. She already had the food ready - I wouldn't have to do a thing. I almost cried - the boys were so excited to get to go with their friends they told me we could go to have a picnic with dad "some other day." How gentle of God to take notice of 2 little boys and their sick mommy and provide a picnic for them when I couldn't.

Shortly after the picnic episode we realized Elijah was going to need a new pair of shoes. Quality of shoes and clothing here is horrible and while we were back in the States I stocked up on over a dozen pair of little boy tennis shoes and sandals in all sizes. So when Elijah's toe started showing through the hole in his tennis shoes, we went to our "extra clothing" box and pulled out all the tennis shoes to find a pair that fit. Trouble was, there weren't any. Somehow I had skipped from size 9 tennis shoes all the way to size 12 with none in between.

Not deterred, I decided to brave the local shoe stores and find some tennis shoes that would work. After HOURS of searching several stores, I had found one pair of bright orange and green velcro shoes that looked like they were made entirely of plastic and one pair of all black shoes that the kids here use as their uniform shoes for school. Both were $12. Now, of course $12 was not going to break the bank, but I am really big into finding bargains and shopping at outlet malls and the thought of spending $12 on plastic shoes that looked they might not make it past the parking lot was a bit hard to swallow. I had just moved Caleb into a pair of Land's End sandals that Elijah had worn for over a year. They still look brand new. I had paid $5 for them.

So, we ended up with no shoes. I decided that if the Lord could provide a picnic, he could provide a pair of tennis shoes. I looked online at all my favorite outlet sites (no Land's End shoes to be found) and even searched Target.com where the shoes listed for $12 actually looked like they might last at least a few months. But nothing turned up and so I've just waited and prayed.

Today the boys and I went on a walk down the street to another missionary's house. The lady's husband is a radio mechanic for a aviation mission in town and we've gotten to know each other as our kids are both in the pre-school together. It was not the best visit, as Caleb peed all over her floor. (Potty training is NOT going well.) But as we were leaving, she said "Hey, I have this pair of shoes my son has outgrown - could Elijah use some tennis shoes?" She handed me a pair of little navy and brown tennis shoes from the States - yes, they had been worn, but they were in great shape and really cute - and fit perfectly. So tonight I am praising the Lord who cares about all the details in our lives like tennis shoes for little boys.

2 comments:

  1. Your post blessed my heart. Praise the Lord for His provision! His eye is on the sparrow, and little boy's tennis shoes, and picnics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is so great to see how God provides! Very exciting:)

    ReplyDelete