Sunday, September 13, 2009

PS

Also really, really miss milk. We drink... or should I say "use" (don't drink it!) powdered milk... works great for making yogurt and is decent on cereal... but a nice cold glass of creamy milk...

And (thanks to Joy!) was also reminded that I would kill for some chips and salsa. Avocados are cheap and plentiful for guacamole, but no tortilla chips around - and yes, have tried making my own. :P Last year when Brant went to Jakarta he bought real tortilla chips for $8 a bag (it was a big bag) and a jar of Pace Picante Sauce and we ate chips and salsa for dinner one night... nothing else. But Jakarta's 3000 miles away, so can't exactly drop by to get groceries.

2 comments:

  1. Avacados??? I would LOVE to have some guacamole! Send me some, okay? :) We have a great recipe for salsa, and we have also made our own chips with great success. There is a kind of Indian flatbread we can buy cheaply nearby, and we cut it into wedges and deep fry it, then add some salt. Maybe they have something like that there you could use?

    You're right about the milk,though. When we first came all they had was "long shelf life" milk. It didn't need to be refridgerated before opening. BLECH! Now the "fresh" milk we have always smells sour and we have to taste it to see if it's still okay.I guess it's better than powdered...but not a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, powdered milk! My mom used to buy that as a back up when we ran out of regular milk to save money. I could barely choke it down at first, but it's amazing what we could eat when truly hungry! Next time you're here, I will serve you milk to drink and make you guacamole with chips...perhaps not all at the same meal, of course. Miss you, Em! :)

    ReplyDelete