Thursday, September 10, 2009

Missing America

Lately I've gotten lots of comments on how hard it must be to be sick here without the comforts of "home." ...I think what people mean by that is "Poor dear stuck in a 3rd world country with no medical care and lots of bugs and heat and dirt." In my opinion it's about the same being sick here as it is in America - it's crummy either place. Only real plus to being sick in America is take-out options are a lot more plentiful there and frozen food is easy for the poor husband trying to scrounge up some food for the fam .....that and if you get really sick you can always go to the hospital and see doctors who actually went to medical school. Details.

So, truth be told, moments where I am really discouraged and sick make me do miss America more and certain American things that would make my life easier and more enjoyable. Tonight those things are -
- lunch meat - would kill for a Subway or any kind of decent sandwhich
- cereal - our options here include corn flakes, homemade granola, and occasionally rice krispies... all get old (and soggy!) fast
- cottage cheese
- applesauce - hard to raise little kids without this staple
- carpet - would love to lie on the floor
- automatic washing machines and dryers - if I ever hear another American woman complain about doing laundry, I might scream... all you have to do is throw the stupid clothes in the machine and it does all the work!
- fresh berries
- Starbucks - might be really cliche to miss Starbucks, but I love how "American" it is and how as an American I feel comfortable getting a Frappacino and sitting in a big comfy chair and chatting with a friend. Just part of our culture that does not translate over here. I think I also miss it because I so often met friends for a cup of coffee and I miss my friends in America.

Most of the time I enjoy being over here. We have gotten over the initial culture shock moving to a new country phase and this is home... I have my house decorated and we have a decent pizza restaurant in town and have friends. We feel comfortable and can live in a different culture that is totally different than the one we were raised in and we feel this is where the Lord would have us serve Him. I don't constantly miss life in America or dream about living there. But when I get sick I do miss lying on carpet...


2 comments:

  1. I hear you! Some of the things you mentioned I also miss very much (lunch meat, cottage cheese, friends), as well as others (chips and salsa, Claussen dill pickles, Taco Bell). However, I see how spoiled I am here compared to you. We do have several Subways, and Starbucks are as plentiful here as in America. I agree with you that being sick is the same, except that the quality of medical care here is very low, and you can't buy chicken noodle soup. :) Well, all of that is to say that I do understand what you're going through, have been praying for you, and will continue. What a privilege to share in the sufferings of Christ, and what rich rewards await you for the eternal difference you are making in lives.

    PS I DON'T miss carpet-I'm allergic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never complain about having to do my laundry again! Thanks for reminding me, Em, of things to be thankful for. I'd take you out for Subway & Starbucks if you were here & indulge in a nice long heart-to-heart talk. How I miss my Emily! I am amazed at how well you all have adjusted in spite of all the changes & health challenges.

    ReplyDelete